McLife

Learning, living and loving life with my other Mc's.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Fear


My girlfriend Alexis was just over, and we had a great conversation about safety. Alexis is on one page, and I don't think I'm even in the same book. It was a great conversation, very friendly and challenging. Alexis is BIG on safety issues, and, well, I'm really not.."

Alexis has a friend whose 6 year old daughter choked and died Sunday when a hot dog got lodged in her throat? Very sad story, and my reaction to these things is always to ask myself if God allowed it to happen?

Just yesterday, Scott and I drove past Platte Canyon High School. I had a big conversation with God over the life of Emily Keyes. Had she put her life in His hands? Did God allow Emily's life to be taken?

Two summers ago I met a missionary to Muslims in Iraq. One day his car broke down, and he was picked up by Muslim extremist who took him to the field where their executions occured. They asked him if he was afraid. He told them that he was not afraid because they could not do anything that God did not allow. The men themselves became afraid, and drove him to his village. Did God allow his life to be spared?

When I look at my life, I see God's provisions all over the place. Many times when I didn't do the smart, safe, or wise thing, -- intentionally and unintentionally -- but I was protected. And then there were times when I didn't do the safe, smart, or wise thing and significantly paid for it. So, when making an application to my life, there are so many questions to ask... Does it matter if I slice my kids' hot dogs in 3 parts; Does it matter that they are buckled on the long stretch of highway to Texas? Is God really that intimately interested in each of our earthly lives? Does the measure by which God takes control equal the measure of control we give up? Proverbs 1:33 says "but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm." Are we harmed because we do not listen?

I thought I was doing so well "not worrying" about things when it came to safety. However, it has come up so frequently the past few days, that I guess I have some work to do...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how your thoughts coincide with mine, or is it? For the past few nights I have been pondering Romans. Specifically Romans 11:33-36. I don't know why I was drawn to read Romans but it has served to remind me; I am not in control and I give thanks for that everynight.

Uncle Lynn

8:43 AM  
Blogger Candice said...

This is such a hard one, I agree. I DO believe in God's sovereignty, yet I don't let my kids play in the street. Let me know if God gives you insight into this issue. I love your title; it really is about fear and trust. My struggle is more about 'bad guys' getting ahold of one of my kids than accidents. Sometimes, when I have read or heard too many disturbing stories, all I know to do is PRAY that God will have mercy on us in this depraved and fallen world. One time after seeing something on t.v., which I should not have even watched, by the way, I was so afraid that I literally stood outside each of the kids' doors and prayed for God's protection; then I was able to go to sleep. I have to remind myself that God loves the kids infinitely more than Kevin and I do.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Heidi McKee said...

The fact is the enemy is here to "steal, kill and destroy" Steal our joy, kill our testimony and destroy our future" BUT God has not given us a spirit of fear, thefore in all our ways we acknowledge Him, and our paths are paved :) I tend to lean more on your side Velvet, I'm very laid back, maybe to a fault who knows, BUT my kids do not fear, they know they have the GOD of truth on their side no matter what! There is NOTHING God does not allow, or even use for His benefit "To live is Christ, to die is gain" Thanks for the meditation girl! I love you.

8:55 AM  
Blogger April said...

Wow, a 6 year old choking on a hot dog?? I certainly don't have the answers here. As far as safety, we do the best we can, but so much of it is out of our control. We can put our kids in the Britax car seat, but they still might not make it if we get slammed into by a drunk driver. I don't think we have to understand everything, that is what is so freeing about being in Christ. I just trust that he is in control, not me, and I am so thankful for that. I see God's grace each day in my life, as well as so many around me. For example, 2 weeks ago, Jill's little girl Mattie (she's almost 2) got ahold of a bottle of pills, it was some type of anxiety medicine that belonged to her roommate. Well she chewed up 18 pills before Jill noticed her! (the normal adult dose is 1 pill every 24 hours) Jill was able to get her to the ER in time, and after stumbling around for about a week, she's finally OK. Anyway, enough rambling, after I finish this, I'll probably think of something that made more sense. I hope you find peace about this.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Elsa Marie said...

I was a lot more "fearful" before I had kid number two. I'm still careful and I drive carefully, and I park next to the cart corral and under a streetlight, and I try to keep us out of situations that are more dangerous than others, like not getting the mail when it's dark out. BUT I give my kids (and, to a lesser extent, my husband, which is a whole other issue) the opportunity to make their own mistakes and clean up their own messes and learn about life by living it.

4:07 PM  
Blogger SunJane said...

Well, I KNOW I have an issue with really believing God will keep me safe. I need more of that kind of peace for sure, but I do firmly believe God gave us a brain to use. He is like the master chess player and when there is a bad move made He can always overcome it with good. However as parents it is our job to do the best we can, and most of us don't let our kids play in the street for that reason. I think doing the best we can is all He ask for. And sometimes we may not even do that , but that is what Grace is for!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Special K said...

I have a picture in my minds eye of God weeping over the evil in this world. He is saddened by the way sin has corrupted the world in a way we could never understand. He allows us to choose evil, to make bad choices because that also means we are able to choose Him with our free will. I'm in the camp that kids need to learn to make mistakes in a safe environment and learn from them. I also think that you could drive around in a tank, give your kids baby food 'til they're 18, lock them in a closet until they are 21- whatever! There is no way to prevent death when it's your time to go. God turns tragedy into good every time. Even when we can't see it or may not know about it until heaven. -there's my 2 cents worth :-) I could go on & on... good blog V!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home