McLife

Learning, living and loving life with my other Mc's.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Public Restroom Etiquette

I always (and have always) avoid public restrooms. However, this weekend we were on a 5.5 hour road trip (one way), and it was unavoidable. We stopped at Wal Mart to take a break. Because we have to hold Jace while helping the others, and ourselves, we opted to wait for the FAMILY restroom that was occupied. When the door opened a 350+ pound woman came out the door and left marks in the toilet and a smell that can't be sent in a blog. I know, DISGUSTING! Scott looked at me and politely asked, "Why didn't she use the regular restrooms." I very meekly and mildly, full of humility and understanding answered, "Because, she's fat." I pondered my response the rest of the way home. It was pretty mean. I was tired, and this woman had assualted my sensibilities on many levels. She was ONE person using the FAMILY restroom; she did something that I believe should only be done while shooting a scene for "Dumb and Dumber" (is it really impossible to hold?); my sense of smell took a hit, and I had no Lysol to remedy the problem; and did I mention my kids, for a moment, also had to ingest that? After all this justifying the little angel on the right reminded me of several Scripture, convincing me that my attitude was clearly wrong. I learned a lesson, but still don't think it's apropriate to go #2 in a public restroom. I think I chose to blog this because it is still bothersome to me.
The picture has no relevance. Just a cute one of the boys that Scott took a couple of months ago.

10 Comments:

Blogger Padre Reeds said...

You can't blame her too much for needing a public pot for an urgent drop off. If you had eaten 6 chickens, 5 hamburgers, a box of twinkies, a case of corn dogs, a trunk of chicken fingers, a platter of fries, and a gallon of ice cream, your colon would split like a banana peel if forced to hold that in even a few minutes. She meets the family bathroom criteria because she eats and poops the same as a large American family...or several combined asian or Indian families. Additionally, to eat less and/or wait a bit to time home turdings would also require a certain degree of self-restraint. I think I need those verses you referred to for my own adjustments as well. I'll recite them for encouragement when I treat them in the ER for heartburn, diverticulitis, fecal impactions/constipation, gallstones, diabetes, high blood pressure, back pain, blood clots, depression, skin fold yeast and infections....etc.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Padre Reeds said...

Just typing that comment got me all hungry.

10:31 AM  
Blogger velvet said...

Ohhhh Kirby, I knew you'd have something interesting to say! It's funny, huh? And gross. And guilt-inducing. There's no way to win. Sorry you have to deal with it daily.

11:28 AM  
Blogger April said...

I'm just impressed that Wal-Mart has a family restroom!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Heidi McKee said...

You make me smile..very descriptive, and yes, I'm a visual learner, so the "marks she left behind" are vivid to me! Thanks for sharing!

1:00 PM  
Blogger SunJane said...

okay that was gross. But.... no going#2 in public restrooms? What about when your shopping and not going home anytime soon? What if your on a road trip? What if your at a restaurant and if you don't go your'e going to be miserable the rest of your date? What if your at church and it just started.
Better pack your Lysol, with me, cuz if I gotta go, I GOTTA GO!
No marks though, I promise.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Padre Reeds said...

I can vouch for Sunny. It's true...She never leaves marks.

7:52 PM  
Blogger velvet said...

GROSS, GROSS, GROSS! And, NO, even on a 5.5 hour trip, I held it and so did my kids. My body just won't do it. "Do unto others ..." -- heard it before? No one wants to smell someone else's stuff. But since there are sunny's out there, no one should forget their Bath & Body Works Body spritzer before leaving home. It is so strong on the skin, that it offers some relief!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris was on your bandwagon until a while back was sooo sick to his stomach he HAD to go. It's just unavoidable! Road trips are the worst, having just been on one a few months back. Those are times I wish for the diaper Anna has! I mean really, can it be called a toilet if it's pretty much a hole in the ground? Do you think handycap people hate me for always using their stall? If only I could use their parking space!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Elsa Marie said...

Ok, you'll probably all disown me, but if I have to go, I'm going to go. And if it leaves marks (which it never does as far as I know), I'll just hope that nobody knows that it was me.

Oh, and the other night at work, there was an explosion in one of the toilets, and all the employees were freaking out about how it was so gross, but I think the half-digested Del Taco Macho Chicken Burrito that I cleaned off of the walls and floor and toilets (it hit all three stalls) was more disgusting. And, yes, I could tell exactly what it was just by looking. That's what I get for working at a place with a lot of pregnant people.

Hope I made your day!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home