McLife

Learning, living and loving life with my other Mc's.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

What Was I Thinking?


I am stubborn enough to be good at most things I try. I can learn new things well or at least complete them on a competent level (or so I thought). So, the idea of baking cakes from scratch seemed like no big deal. After all, our family has many reasons to celebrate this time of year, so a box cake just didn't seem appropriate. I went on the internet and found a cake and frosting recipe. All the ingredients were listed and the directions were written out in steps, just like I like them. I even read the comments and found that a box of pudding enhanced the receipe, so I added it. What the recipe did not list was important words to know in the bakers' vernacular. I drove to the store to gather ingredients, and should have known I was in over my head when I could not find the confectioner's sugar. I called a friend who was unavailable and then dialed my mother in law before I spotted the cheap brand with the words "Confectioner's Sugar." I hung up the phone quickly. I know my mother in law feels sorry for her son when I call with silly cooking questions. Anyway ... I should have known then that I was in over my head, but I'm not one to give up that easy. Of course, I was oblivious at this point to what was in store. To make it quick, I didn't have enough vegetable oil and had to borrow canola oil from the neighbor; my arms are sore because I thought that you had to mix while sifting (I really thought they were going to fall off); I forgot to put my special pudding ingredient in the mix; I thought I had burned the cakes, but discovered I had not cooked them long enough when I started to ice them, and they began falling apart; I realized that I spent more time covering up the cake particles in the icing than I did baking the cake; I had no idea fondant could be microwaved so I spent 10 minutes using force and kinetic energy trying to roll it (I finally got smart); and did I mention that my mixer started smoking as I was making the frosting? So, after 4 hours of baking and icing, and another 2 decorating with the kids the photo above is what we have. I don't know if they're edible, but they are presentable!

No one has ever made me feel inferior, incapable or stupid. But can I say that God used something to do the job? I'm a little humbled.

The conclusion to this story is: the next time my husband takes the kids out for the night, I will not spend my time doing something I know I don't like to do (cooking) in my least favorite room of the house (kitchen). Betty Crocker and Ducan Hines do a fabulous job, and they're cheaper and cause less stress. And there are some things, perhaps many things, that I'm just not good at or capable of!

10 Comments:

Blogger Heidi McKee said...

I'm cracking up...question is who??? is going to eat all three of those cakes? They are as big as Rana! Thanks for your honesty and I too appreciate duncan hines and betty crocker (why re-invent the wheel!) :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger April said...

Well I think they look beautiful! Why are you already baking cakes for her birthday? I thought her birthday was somewhere around the 24th??

8:33 PM  
Blogger Special K said...

Cakes were deeelish, party was awesome...you win the "Mommy Award" of the Month! I too have been humbled by a recipe and our kitchen looked like someone broke into our house and ransacked the place. :-)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Elsa Marie said...

Cake was so yummy! Surprise on the bottom? WOW!

Thanks for watching the girls tonight. K had a blast, as always.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Candice said...

What a hoot! Though I thing this is one that you laugh at after, WAY after it's over!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Walmart makes pretty low priced cakes too. I just go with the store. It is worth the $14!

They do look cute though. Way to go June!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cakes were great, all of them...especially the triple chocolate! The comfortable couch was good too though.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Stace Riley said...

I'm impressed that you tried your hand at fondant. (The only reason I know that is because my better half MAKES me watch the food challenge)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Pressing On . . . Jen said...

You could have invited the whole state of Texas to help you eat those cakes! Betty Crocker -- you rock.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a great job. Thanks for not mentioning my name as the friend who was unavailable. Wish I could have been there to help you. I'll call you with my number questions. :)

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home