McLife

Learning, living and loving life with my other Mc's.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

New York, New York

Well, it's been over a week now since I woke up in the city that never sleeps with my college BFF Sunny. There's so much that I learned and did. It's a bit overwhelming. I must say that if you haven't had a trip of this kind, you really should stop reading this post, go to your favorite travel site, and book something. Special friends that you can be completely real with are a mirror to your heart and soul in the same way a marriage is, but at a completely different angle. Sunny is writing a series on her blog about our experiences. I will do the same, mostly for my benefit, so that I can sort through it all.

The first day could be summed up in one word -- SURREAL! From the moment I stepped out of the car to enter the airport, I felt it. For the first time in a while, I was alone ... no kids, no husband. I was constantly asking myself what I forgot, feeling that my load was unusually light. My mind was free not worrying about who was where, but I realized how much my family is a part of me. It was way weird! I knew then how much I would miss them.

When I arrived in NYC I met up with Sunny and caught a cab to our hotel. I can't describe the excitment of this commute. It was my first time in a cab, I was with Sunny (haven't seen her in a year and a half), and we were in NEW YORK CITY! It was too much to take in, but I tried.

We ended the evening with cosmos on the rooftop of our hotel. It was then that we realized that we were staying one block north of the Empire State Building. We had an awesome view, and it served as a great backdrop for us to do some catching up. (We stayed at the Hotel Metro, if you're planning on going soon. I highly recommend it -- nice, safe, great location and affordable for NYC.)

8 Comments:

Blogger keri said...

Great picture of you two. I can't wait to hear more! I'm so glad you guys had so much fun...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Mills Family said...

so great....a mama should always have time without her kids to keep in mind "I am more than a mother"

3:31 PM  
Blogger Heidi McKee said...

That's it! Want more please! And I'm jealous...seriously :)

6:57 AM  
Blogger April said...

You girls look great, and I know that was an unforgettable experience for you.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Stace Riley said...

Ditto on the jealousy thing.

I WILL visit New York someday.

Hope you had fun, chica.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Pressing On . . . Jen said...

I'm do glad to know that you are as bad as me at keeping your blog updated:!
We need to have a "Texas B&B" girls only reunion- I need a vacation bad-- but "the girls" will have to be secondary to my sweet husband who so desparately wants to "take me away." We are going to go to some remote island when this PhD is over--so remote we won't even know how to get there!

8:26 PM  
Blogger keri said...

still waiting to hear more!!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virginia, WE NEED UPDATES!!!!

Love ya!
Your baby sis! :o)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home